Sunday, February 7, 2010

Quotes for the Refrigerator Door

From Simone Weil...

"All sins are attempts to fill voids."

"The poet produces the beautiful by fixing his attention on something real."

"Humanism was not wrong in thinking that beauty, liberty, and equality are of infinite value, but in thinking that man can get them for himself without grace."


Editor's note: I love Simone Weil and think she is among the greatest philosophers. I was thinking last night about who has signed on as a "fan" of this blog and it made me think that, in a way, my personality is perhaps the polar opposite of Simone Weil's although I think our values are quite similar. Weil valued her objectivity and fairness to all people to such a degree that it kept her from joining any groups. She led a solitary life. She found her spirituality in being an outsider.

I cannot tolerate solitude for too long. And during periods in my life when I have not been actively employed as a journalist, I have tended to jump in and belong to groups and causes -- groups and causes that seem sometimes like contradictions although to me they are not at all contradictory. I have protested causes on the left and on the right at different times. Now I see fair percentage of my blog fans are political activists of one type or another.

It will be an interesting ride for us! I really look forward to the honor of writing stories that will, hopefully, generate thoughtful commentary from people with very different opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment